On Monday 2nd October, Karine and I attended the Annual Publishing Conference 2017 hosted by Rave Technologies.
As per normal, it was an interesting conference with the chance to meet like-minded people within publishing.
The morning session of the conference consisted of the following:
- Max Gabriel, Chief Technology Officer at Taylor & Francis, talking about the changing rules of economy, with the digital landscape shifting power from supply to demand.
- Chris Marker from The IET presented a case study on AI.
- Prabhash Shrestha from the Independent Community Bankers of America was next with an entertaining speech on digital transformation from a non-publishing viewpoint.
- John Haynes, CEO at AIP Publishing talked about innovation in a journal and data hybrid.
- Panel discussion, moderated by Christian Kohl, on AI in publishing: applications, potentials and constraints. The panel included Daniel Ecer – Data Scientist at eLife Sciences Publications, Ian Mulvany – Head of Product Innovation at Sage, Prabhash Shrestha from the ICBA and Christopher Marker – Lead Taxonomist at The IET.
Following this was lunch with a chance of networking.
In the afternoon of the conference, there were the follwoing sessions:
- Ian Mulvany, Head of Product Innovation at Sage, talked about managing innovation.
- Liz Bradshaw and Kunal Ahluwalia of Elsevier discussed data-driven product development.
- Panel discussion, moderated by Tasha Mellins-Cohen, Microbiology Society, on Agile/lean and their wider impact on publishing.
- And the final talk was delivered by Andrew Vorster, Innovation Consultant, advising on the art and science igniting innovation initiatives.
See you all next year!
David Martin (AIRP)
Senior Consultant (Technology, Digital, Change & Transformation, Data & Analytics Nationwide)
Tel: 020 7034 7850